6 февраля 2009 г.

Russian Winter Magic

It is softly snowing today in my hometown, Saratov as I'm typing it.

Dunno about you but to me snowing always is miracle thing.

Remember what greatest Danish story-teller Hans Christian Andersen wrote in one of his remarkable stories: "….Looks like as though the old woman is plucking her geese..."?

Well, that's what actually happens now outside: world slowly becomes silent, white and soaring place...

Now you might be surprised with my excitement but it's my strong belief that it takes to be born in Russia to appreciate a winter to that pretty abnormal extent, we Russians do! ;-)

And seriously, ask me why I everytime go almost gaga, just because of watching snow-flakes? Why I find romantic walking in the snow-covered streets with my sweetheart so-o-o romantic? Why I love the color of winter sky (deep, deep blue...you're never going to see THAT gorgeous in summer!)? Why I feel myself a little girl as the clock is striking twelve in New Year’s night?

And finally, why on earth I find an almost hedonistic joy in jumping into hot tub after getting all frozen outside? I hardly can explain to you...but deep down in my heart, I know that there are a few explanations for this winter magic.

First, Russian winter is never grey, gloomy or depressive unlike what you probably read, heard or were told before. Yes, it’s still maybe quite sentimental: these lilac-pink-purple sunsets; but overall it is pretty mild weather, especially if you choose to abandon a buzzing megapolis and take a ride to some remote and virgin suburb area. Read more about Traditional Russian Winter Fun in the next post.

Secondly, winter is one of most special seasons in Russian calendar due to lots of holidays, falling at this time.

New Year (31 Dec to 1st Jan);
Russian Orthodox Christmas (7 Jan);
‘’Old New Year’’ (from 13 to 14 Jan); Old New Year is celebrated due to the difference between Julian (old style) calendar which Russian Orthodox church still adheres to and Gregorian (new style) calendar.
Epiphany (19 Jan);

Oh I forgot to mention here longest school vacation for children and pretty laid-back schedule for adults (this year for example, it was two weeks of days-off running before anyone ever started working again! LOL).

OK, now enough of writing. I want to share with you some amazing shots that tell you better than anyone about beauty of a true Russian winter.

White tracery – almost a peacock’s feather!

DSC01491.JPG  Ледянной цветок для милой  принцессы...!!!
«DSC01491.JPG Ледянной цветок для милой принцессы...!!!» на Яндекс.Фотках

Hmmm, that’s perhaps one of those fabulous sunsets I mentioned above. It’s cozy to walk and think in such calm evenings…all alone…twilight sky, lonely bird's song, and brisk air. I bet, you already heard about inscrutable ‘Russian soul’? Often it refers to exactly this condition of perfect solitude that only a Russian person can appreciate as ideal for philosophic reflection and soul-searching. We are the nation of thinkers, above all.

Зимний пейзаж в долине реки
«Зимний пейзаж в долине реки» на Яндекс.Фотках

Or how about this fantastic moonlit night? The cat is almost flying thru the air but it seems the photographer specially wanted it so? ;-)

Фунтик в зимней сказке
«Фунтик в зимней сказке» на Яндекс.Фотках



Finally, enjoy these beautiful landscapes by Michail Tkachev what a serenity!

Russian winter

winter russia
Traveling to Russia in winter
Russian winter landscape

Russian winter magic

Stay warm!! :)
I’ll be back soon.

Комментариев нет: